Future-Proof Your Data And Create Value With A Connected And Integrated Ecosystem: What Iot Brings To Product Documentation
The expanding reach of mobile devices continues to generate new and exciting opportunities for businesses to generate revenue, customers to interact with brands, and organizations to overhaul or completely transform current processes. But it’s the Internet of Things (IoT) that has the potential to drive the most growth across industries over the next years. The statistics says it all:
- International Data Corporation (IDC) estimates 30 billion connected devices and a revenue opportunity of $1.7 trillion by 2020;
- Gartner forecasts 20.8 billion connected devices and $3 trillion IoT economic value during the same timeframe; and
- PricewaterhouseCoopers reveals that 42% of surveyed executives see IoT as disruptive to their business model. In terms of investments, 73% are already investing in IoT, and 63% expect to invest in three years.
Defined as the interaction and integration of internet-connected devices without much human intervention, IoT’s rapid expansion reveals the power of data connection. Multiple devices sharing data with one another creates a powerful source of intelligence that offers countless possibilities in everything we do. Even at an early stage, IoT’s effect is just as impactful and valuable in product documentation.
Understand the changing customer and information landscape
We all know that product documentation started as installation and troubleshooting manuals shipped with products. We also know that today, with the advent of new technologies and digital connectivity, the way people consume information has changed. Not only that, customer expectations on the format or type of information and the way it is delivered have, all together, altered the way enterprises approach product documentation.
Thanks to companies like YouTube or Twitter for providing easily digestible contents, or Uber and Airbnb for pioneering the on-demand economy, customers no longer have the patience to run through pages and pages of documentation. They want filtered information made available with a few finger taps through the channel they prefer.
Leverage competitive intelligence by being where the customers are
There is an ongoing shift from product-focused to customer relationship-focused model among enterprises. In this new landscape, there’s a gamut of opportunities in terms of enhancing user experience through product documentation. With IoT, these can be enhanced even further. How?
- Deliver personalized contents on mobile devices. By connecting data, products, and devices, not only can enterprises publish information on internet-connected devices, but they can also automate and proactively help customers through these platforms regardless of time and location. It also enables real-time notification and interactive workflow based on what the customer is presently experiencing.
- Discover insights from usage and feedback. Integrating product documentation with devices give enterprises a 360 view of the customer – from the issues they face to the actions they take when researching for new products. Having this capability allows enterprises not only to provide customized support but also gather and analyze customer data such as common errors or buying behavior, which they can use to refine services, optimize troubleshooting workflows, offer the right product, and even innovate new ones.
- Create actionable and contextualized documents. Leveraging IoT enables applicability of context by allowing enterprises to analyze device information, choose the next-best workflow, and convert workflows into rich single-page applications for embedding within mobile devices. Moreover, it allows publication of complex troubleshooting processes into structured documents to fit seamlessly into the present contents.
Implementing a product documentation ecosystem that is connected and integrated to a wider network of internet-enabled devices offers customers with comprehensive, dynamic, efficient, and usable information, which can lead to many things. From reduced workload and saved costs thanks to automated processes, efficiency, and collaboration in gathering, creating, and managing data, to customer loyalty, cross-selling and up-selling opportunities, innovation, and revenue.
One sure way to future-proof and create value is having all data in one ecosystem, Zoomin is a powerful platform for the delivery of support workflows which enables customer success. Learn how to increase adoption of your products by making documentation the primary channel for solving customers’ problems as they occur. Schedule your guided demo of Zoomin today.